Thursday 18 February 2010

COCO ROCHA SPEAKS OUT


Whenever I think of models, to be quite honest, I think of a whole different spieces. They are neither humans nor animals, they are just... Models. Tall, skinny and dare I say it, a clothes hanger... Not wooden ones but the really fragile, metal ones that you can bend and snap. That is my perception of models today within the industry I work in.

Coco Rocha is a 21-year-old fashion model who has graced the catwalks of amazing designers all around the world and yet she is deemed "too fat". She says about herself on her very own blog Oh So Coco, "I'm a 21-year-old model, 6 inches taller and 10 dress sizes smaller than your average American woman. Yet in another parallel world universe I'm considered "fat"...". Now that is truly scary, I have interned in many fashion PR companies and magazines and I, myself, have been subjected to eating a salad for lunch, not for health reasons, but purely on the basis I want to reach a "divine" size... Which is size 0.


Reading Rocha's blog really opened up my eyes to a lot of things. It proves to me how egotistical and pretentious our industry is. Yet we choose to ignore all those aspects because we totally j'adore it. So we push those issues aside and get a long with whatever we need to do. I have ALWAYS been very pro- skinnism (even if that is a word) and I may not agree with everything she has to say, but Rocha is a great inspiration to many young aspiring models out there. Proving to us, eating a hamburger will not kill you or drinking regular coke rather than diet will not make you as big as Jordan's vangina.

Coco Rocha is an amazing model, blogger and role model. Young girls all around the world should really look up to her and realise that you can actually eat and still be absolutely beautiful. Counting the calories of what you eat for the rest of your life will not make you a happy person inside. Yes, it is important to be a healthy weight within fashion but if we carry on grooming girls to be a complete size 0, then we have a problem.



To read more of Coco Rocha's blog, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment